About Us

Owen Gray and Son was originally started by Owen G. Gray and his son Thurle in 1939 on the banks of the Penobscot River in Brewer, Maine. They built numerous houses back then as well as doing general carpentry.  When WWII was going strong the “shop” was closed and Thurle and his young family moved to Bath, Maine to work at Bath Iron Works. Owen stayed in Brewer an did odd jobs in the Bangor/Brewer area.

In 1946 Thurle his wife and young son came back to Brewer and the “shop” resumed business as usual. Owen and his son continued to build quality homes in the Bangor/Brewer area as well as Commercial Properties.

In the 1950’s Owen Gray and Son had 50 men on it’s payroll and built Bass Park in Bangor as well as many Churches, Synagogue’s and Schools in the area.

In 1961 the “shop” moved to it’s current location at 300 Chamberlain Street in Brewer, Maine with 3000 sq ft of floor space for doing millwork and storing lumber as well as an additional 3000 sq ft basement.

Owen passed away in 1966 and Thurle continued to build houses in the area until his unexpected death in March of 1975. After Thurle’s death Owen Gray and Son went from being one of the biggest general contractors in the area to an inside only shop concentrating on Millwork, Cabinetry and Lumber sales.

Thurle’s son Richard began running the shop from distance after his fathers death as he had a full time job with the local Rail Road. Richard ran Owen Gray and Son until his retirement in February of 2010. Richard’s son Mark and his wife Kim bought the business from Richard and reopened March 1, 2010 but as Owen Gray and Son, Inc.